Saturday, May 30, 2009

Magic Trowel! The Story of a Satisfied Customer.

When it comes to researching how to do something that I have never done before, I almost always turn to my friend, the internet, before I do anything else. So when I was trying to figure out how best to skim coat old, pitted, plaster walls, it was no different. After much research I came across a link posted by a fellow blogger and home renovator HERE. So here is a tip for all y'all who have to refinish plaster: Buy this tool!!! The Magic Trowel
Yesterday was one of those good days that makes me realize why people renovate homes. And the Magic Trowel made it all possible. I am always a bit hesitant to try a new technique, the unknown can be scary! The directions said to add 8 oz of water to 5 gallons of joint compound. Jared and I doubled that amount. (And I may add more today.) The directions also said to prime the walls first, but we completely skipped that step. I did, however, wash the walls REALLY well with hot water and an abrasive scrubby first. We then rolled it on with a paint roller, just like they said. I got a big glop of goopy compound on the roller and then really laid into the wall, so as to get in all the little pitted places. Then I just took the Magic Trowel (which I wetted) and pulled it down the length of the wall starting from the top. At first I had little air hole-looking things, but after I adjusted the way I was holding the trowel, they cleared right up and I was left with an-almost-smooth surface. I will have to do some sanding for sure, and then applying of a second coat.
The wall looked so awesome after the first coat that I felt like dancing! And it only took me a half an hour to do one whole wall in our bedroom (about 11x8). After so much unrewarding and tedious wallpaper stripping and wall washing it was like magic!
Oh, and btw you won't find these babies on ebay. My theory why? Because once you buy one
you never want to get rid of it!



What it looked like before I ever touched it.
After much wall paper stripping, wall washing and hole filling:
And Today, after one coat of joint compound.


No comments:

Post a Comment